Welcome to Community Drum
Community Forum and Information for Alaska Natives Living with HIV/AIDS

About Us    Events    Alaska HIV/AIDS Agencies    Test Sites    Links    Contact   

This site contains HIV prevention messages and information on care and treatment for HIV/AIDS and may not be appropriate for all audiences. If you are not seeking such information, or may be offended by such materials, please leave this website.

HIV/AIDS in Alaska

In 1982, the first known HIV/AIDS case was reported in Alaska. As of December 2004, there were approximately 1002 HIV/AIDS cases statewide. Of this number 228 were Alaska Natives living with HIV.*

Column chart showing the number of Alaska HIV/AIDS Cases

The disease is in Alaska AND there are Alaska Natives who live in remote and rural communities in Alaska who have been infected and affected by this preventable disease. Some may not know that they are infected and could be passing on the virus to others.

This online resource strives to provide the most accurate and current information on HIV/AIDS, and provide a safe place for Alaska Natives who are living with the disease to come together in an online forum, and know that they are not alone.

*Source: State of Alaska Epidemiology, for more current data visit their website: State Epidemiology


Home | Events | HIV/AIDS Agencies | Test Sites | Links | Stories | Contact


Updated September 29, 2005

Community Drum is funded through the National Library of Medicine
and is maintained by the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium HIV/AIDS Prevention Program.

Note: Opinions expressed among these web sites do not necessarily represent the views of the HIV/AIDS Services Program, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Alaska Native Medical Center or Indian Health Service. This website is for providing HIV/AIDS information only. The HIV/AIDS Program, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Alaska Native Medical Center and Indian Health Service are held harmless of the views expressed within this website. If you have a medical condition, you need to see a licensed medical doctor.

Comments or want to submit a story? Contact the Web Manager