You Can Live Long and Well with HIV/AIDS
You can live a long and productive life as long as you take care of
yourself and are actively involved in your medical, physical and mental care. Remember
I. Be good to yourself.
- Acknowledge and share your feelings of anger, fear, shame, hopes and dreams with someone you trust.
II. Get educated.
- Educate yourself about HIV/AIDS, your medications and what's available.
- Educate providers and your support system about your care needs.
- Prepare for appointments and write things down that you want to
- Search the Internet. Please note: All Internet resources may not be reliable or current. Your
case manager can provide you with a list of reliable Internet resources or see our suggested links.
III. Be an active member of your "care team."
- Ask questions.
- Be honest and open.
- Develop a "care" plan with your case manager and write it down.
- Develop goals that will enhance your health and well-being.
- Develop a support network with others.
- Keep appointments.
- Take medicines regularly and as scheduled.
- With your health team.
- With your guide/mentor/counselor.
- With anyone you feel safe with.
- Write a journal.
- Write poems or stories AND share them with us.
- Participate in discussion groups.
- Artwork (beading, drawing, sculpting, etc.).
| HIV/AIDS Agencies
| Test Sites